At the Black Swan Revel, Lord Emilio di Battista proposed a School of Defense:
To the people of the Canton of Castelburn and the College of St Kessog do I,
Lord Emilio di Battista - Journeyman of the Lochac Royal Guild of Defense,
Champion of Defense for the Barony of Southron Gaard, Lord of Villa Silviati
and Guardsman for Their Excellencies Batholemew and kathrine, Baron and
Baroness of Southron Gaard, do I send walm greetings.
It has been almost one full year since I first journeyed to the colder
climes of the highlands of Southron Gaard in order to teach those among you
who wish to know the mysteries of the arte of defense. In that time what I
have seen has brought me much pleasure. Your fencers have proven to be hardy
and diligent, learning and improving without a teacher nearby. These
qualities are much desired by teachers of any arte and they move me to make
the bond between us stronger.
As such I will now name as my students those lords or ladies who desire it,
and form a School of Defense that they might study the arte and science of
fence under my tutelage. I ask that those who wish to be known as part of
the school, be that as a fencer, a herald, a bringer of food and drink or in
any other manner, now to rise.
Several gentles rise.
I make to you you these commitments as your teacher:
- That I will visit the highlands every two months, as God and my Lady
allow, and bring with me new knowledge.
- That I will assist you in study of the Masters of the arte and ensure you
pass the test and trials of the kingdom marshalette.
- That I will listen to your needs and fulfill them as best I may.
- That I will be sparing with the rod if your diligence wavers
- and finally, I give this commitment with the knowledge that with some
small measure of aid soon you will not require a teacher.
In return I ask that while you are a member of the school you turn your mind
to these principals:
- Be disciplined in your training (we talked about the rod earlier).
- Enjoy the arte and engage all activities with a light and jovial heart.
- Strive for excellence.
- Be mindful of your words and actions, as at stake is both my honour and
that of your peers.
If you feel you can abide by these principals please indicate so now.
Several gentles make indications.
Excellent. I Herby name you my students and members of the School of the
Southern Star. (name provisional)
Dedication, Enjoyment, Excellence. (motto provisional)
Long live the highlands of Southron Gaard!